Harrisburg station, 2016.
Color digital image showing the historic Harrisburg, Pa., station; image dates to May 2016.
- Digital Image Details
- Date Archived:
- May 19, 2016
- Data Format:
- Date Created:
- May 2, 2016
- Download the full-sized version of this photo
The Pennsylvania Railroad completed the red brick Queen Anne-style Harrisburg station in 1887. Its distinctive gambrel roof was reconstructed in 1905 after a serious fire the previous year. Now known as the Harrisburg Transportation Center, the complex includes two historic steel and timber train sheds employing Fink roof trusses. The facility is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated a National Engineering Landmark. Harrisburg is an important transition point between electric train operations to the east and diesel operations to the west.
The station is served by the daily Pennsylvanian (New York-Philadelphia-Pittsburgh) and Keystone Service (New York-Philadelphia-Harrisburg) trains. These services are financed primarily through funds made available by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Photographer: Chuck Gomez for Amtrak. From the Amtrak Corporate Collection.